Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Birthday to me....

Well tomorrow I turn 27. I havent quite decided how I feel about this yet other than 'older'. Its not like turning 25 though or 21, its fairly inconsequential in terms of ages but all the same, I feel like something is changing!
Anyway seeing as my b-day is mid year, I have decided to make up some (more) resolutions as a birthday is kinda like your personal new year anyway.

1) I will spend less, make a budget and STICK to it!
This is the most important and I am really stuck between wanting to work as a permanant staff member to advance my career or working as a locum which although boring as hell, pays almost double so hopefully I can make a budget I can stick to and stay as a permanant and I wont feel quite so poor.


2) I will try and go to the gym at least once a week, if for nothing else than a pilates class.
My flatmate is a pilates instructor and she took me last Wednesday. I thought it was going to be all heavy breathing and stretching but I came out feeling like I had been through a workout! And my abs were killing me for about 2 days afterwards!


3) I will try and say 'yes' to every invitation that comes my way.
I am half poaching from 'The year of Yes' here but while she was after a date, I am just after a good time (in the least slutty way possible!! I dont mean it like that!!)


4) I will continue to go away as often as I can, to new and exciting places where possible.
Hello lastminute.com. You will be my best friend.


5) I will only shop at Zara and Mango and not New Look anymore
This obv excludes sale items! But I am 27, I should be at Zara and not NewLook. I have started by buying something to wear on Friday night from Zara, and not New Look. NL is cheap yes, fashionable not really.


6) I will try and SAVE some money
See how far down the list this is?? Obviously not shopping at teenybopper stores is more important to me than fiscal responsibility.


OK thats all I can think of for now.
This partly stems from being about to turn 27 and feeling like I dont have much to show for it, which is of course rubbish. Its just that everything is only worth something to me!

Anyway, what else has been happening....
Well the week before last I did quite a lot for someone with no money....on Tuesday I went to see FAME with a couple of lovely mates. I say lovely as it was another 20 quid for meal and tickets deal and we came out the restaurant and I directed us to Charing cross instead of Shaftsbury ave and we missed the first few minutes and they didnt mind. Lovely lovely people. The meal was at a tapas restaurant so we ordered up and ate heaps! As for Fame, I really enjoyed it but seriously, some of them needed to get their faux american accents sorted, they were terrible.

On Thursday I went to see Equus! I was soooooooooooo excited as I am a MAJOR Harry Potter fan and when Daniel Radcliffe came out on the stage I nearly stood up in excitement! I maanaged to restrain myself though as otherwise I knew they would eject me and I wouldnt get to see him naked later. On a serious note, the play was brilliant...I was totally drawn in and they only had 4 black boxes as props for everything. Fantastic acting. And the star naked? Priceless. Its finished now though, we paid top price for seats but it was well worth it.

On the Friday night I went to Alicias house for a BBQ. By the time the food was served there was no saving me...I had got though a bottle and a half of wine. In a panic I realised it was an hour back to my house and so rushed for the last tube and fell asleep on it. I only woke as when we were pulling into my stop I banged my head on one of the poles. Classy.
Unfortunately, 2 days of drunken-ness meant I was totally hungover on the Saturday so I promised myself I would stay in and tidy up my room a bit. I did stay in but did no tidying at all, rather ate my body weight in corn chips and guacamole and watched DVDs. Why am I single?? Am obviously such a catch.

Sunday I found myself back at The Church! Argh! Was limitedly better or worse this time, not sure which. I was with 5 other people this time, all male. I was hoping there would be a few girls but no such luck. You might be forgiven for thinking that if you are there with 5 blokes and you are hit on by an exceedingly horny drunk Irish guy that maybe they might chivalrously step in and assist you when its clear you dont want a shag in the bathrooms but no such luck. During time of said event, one was off pashing someone, one was taking pics of the stripper, one was at the bar and the other 2 were laughing at my extrication attempts. Nice work.

So this last week has been a LOT quieter. Mostly as I have been a LOT poorer!
I went to pilates on Wednesday night with my flatmate. I would feel all saintly at excercising but we actually went to the pub first and then to the class. No wonder I struggled.
On Thursday there was a NIGHTMARE drive to Cambridge for work. I was in a panic as I havent driven for 14 months. What a nice introduction...in the rain on the M25. Anyway I managed it OK, even though it took me double the amount of time it takes anyone else. Thursday night there was an expedition to Brent Cross with a workmate to get (him) some stuff. I found lots of stuff I liked and mentally spent my next paycheck.

Friday night was a dinner at said workmates flat with a bunch of other people. I took Sangria and managed to get quite mashed off it. We also watched Black Books which I had not seen for ages and found it very hysterical. Am amazed I got home ok, and worse, when I got home thought it would be a nice time to call home and chat to mum and dad drunkenly. Awesome. Sure they liked it too.

Saturday I was half thinking of going to the O2 but it was pouuuuuuuuuuring with rain so went with the original plan and stayed at home. Actually, I went to Asda and got a fab dress for 6 pounds! Brilliant saving I love a bargain. I have not yet decided if this is breaching the rules under my new resolutions. I did nothing else apart from a halfhearted clear out of clothes I dont wear which involved pulling them all out of my wardrobe, chucking 2 things away and then putting them all on the floor as I wanted to go to sleep.

Sunday, today, I had about a million unanswered texts so decided to top up my phone and finally answer people. That done I read all the trashy newspapers and fell asleep, only to awaken to phone ringing and imagining I was in a nightclub. Sadly though (maybe thankfully) I was not and so now have the unenviable task of re-folding and putting everything back that I dragged out and dumped on the floor yesterday. Bah.

Oh well birthday tomorrow.....that always means good things.

No comments: